Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mochiko Chicken

I was trying to figure out how to prepare my chicken last week and I asked my friends on Facebook and someone posted that I should make mochiko chicken. It's a pretty popular dish in Hawaii but surprisingly I had never had it before so I decided to give it a try. I found a recipe on the AlohaWorld website. I marinated it over night and was going to cook it up for dinner but I was hungry and decided to cook up a few pieces for lunch. It was very simple to make, smelled amazing while cooking and it was delicious!

I had my camera handy so I decided to take some pics :)

The chicken after it had been marinating all night.


Smelling so very yummylicious


Here is a box mochiko incase you didn't know what it was


All done frying. I am drooling at this point.


I decided I needed a side dish so I made this.


All ready to eat :) I am a happy girl.


I realized as I was sitting down ready to eat that I didn't have a veggie dish but I was too hungry to do something about it.

Here is the recipe I used. I pretty much followed the recipe to a T except I didn't cut up the chicken. I would have but it was midnight when I remembered I still needed to marinate the chicken so I just left it whole.

Ingredients

5 lbs Boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/4 C Mochiko flour
1/4 C Cornstarch
1/4 C sugar
1/2 tsp Salt 2 Eggs
5 Tbsp Aloha Shoyu
6-7 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp minced Ginger
1/2 C sliced Green onions

Cooking Instructions

Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. In a medium bowl, sift together mochiko flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt, and mix well. In a small bowl, combine eggs, shoyu, garlic, and ginger. Whisk into dry ingredients. Add chicken. Fold in green onions, and make sure to coat all chicken pieces evenly. Marinate at least 4 hours; overnight is best. Deep-fry until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, now my curiosity is piqued, what does Mochiko flour taste like? How is it different than regular flour? Can I find it at my local Wally World?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mochiko doesnt really taste like anything. Just a tad sweet. What I know of it is Asians use it to make this dessert called Mochi, which is basically a sweet sticky, chewy dessert. Also used to coat meat for frying, like this recipe. I found a website that has more information.
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-mochiko-flour.htm

    ReplyDelete