Monday, June 28, 2010

Goodies

I spent a lot of time in the kitchen this weekend. A LOT. It all started Friday. I probably wrote in my previous blog that our church was setting up a bake sale at an auction on Saturday to raise money for the teen trip and I volunteered to bake a couple things. I had originally planned on making some banana nut breads and I had bought a bunch of banans but they weren't as ripe as I was hoping they'd be. So instead, I baked some cookies and some lemon bars. Let's start with the cookies.

The cookies are called Carron's "Killer" Cookies that I found on the Family Circle website. These cookies were really easy to make and were really yummy. It's not something I would have normally baked because I'm not a fan of oatmeal cookies or coconut but there were some awesome reviews so I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. They baked up beautifully. I had no idea where my camera was so I don't have pictures but they looked exactly the same as the pictures on the website.


Image taken from the Family Circle website.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
1- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light-brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups old-fashion oats
2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1 cup sweetened flake coconut
1 bag (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
1. Heat oven to 350°. Place parchment paper on 4 baking sheets and set aside.

2. In small bowl, blend flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt with a whisk; set aside.

3. In large bowl, beat shortening and both sugars on medium-high speed about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.

4. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Stir in oats, Rice Krispies, coconut and chocolate chips.

5. Form balls with 2 tablespoons of dough and place 2 inches apart on prepared sheets. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.

Makes: 4-1/2 dozen cookies Prep: 15 minutes Bake: 10 minutes


The next thing I baked was Creamy Lemon Crumb Squares from The Pioneer Woman's website. Like the cookies, I probably wouldn't have baked these if I were looking for something to bake myself because I'm not a fan of fruit desserts but I thought lemons bars seemed like a good bake sale dessert. Plus, I trust The Pioneer Woman. I trust that any recipe she posts will be delicious. These were really good. I actually liked the lemon part of it. It wasn't overly sweet and had a nice tang to it. These were also really easy to make. After I cut the pieces up and wrapped each individual square in plastic wrap, I put it in the fridge to chill overnight.


Image taken from The Pioneer Woman's website

Here is the recipe

Ingredients
1-⅓ cup All-purpose Flour
½ teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 stick (1/2 Cup) Butter, Slightly Softened
1 cup Brown Sugar (lightly Packed)
1 cup Oats
1 can (14 Ounce) Sweetened Condensed Milk
½ cups Lemon Juice
Zest Of 1 Lemon

Preparation Instructions
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES.
Mix butter and brown sugar until well combined.
Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
Add oats and flour to butter/sugar mixture and mix to combine.
Press half of crumb mixture into the bottom of an 8 x 11 inch pan.
Mix together condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Spread onto the bottom layer of the crumb mixture. Top with the other half of the crumb mixture, but don’t press.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Allow pan to sit on counter for 30 minutes after baking. Cut into squares and refrigerate for a couple of hours or until cool.
Serve cool.

Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 25 Minutes Difficulty: Easy Servings: 12

No comments:

Post a Comment